16 May 2010

A family update

Sorry for skipping the weekly update last week. We were to busy having fun (and working too I must admit).  We really had a lot of fun over the last 2 weeks. We took a trip to New Orleans for mother's day and visited the Audubon zoo. It was the perfect zoo day. Sunny, breezy and not too hot. Many people thought the same thing because it was very busy (I am sure the 'mothers enter free' policy for that day had some input in that as well) but that didn't make it less of a wonderful day. Unfortunately I have no pictures because....I left the camera in the car (silly mama!!).  And it was my very first real mother's day.  I had a sort of preview last year when we knew the adoption would not be far away anymore but this time I 'deserved' it.

Hannah and Ivan have been doing very well. They got a clean bill of health at the eye doctor, they are still going to the little gym and do very well there.  Ivan just loves it and doesn't want to leave after the lesson.  What is better than being allowed to climb on everything, get to play with a lot of balls, pop bubbles, sing songs and run around after all. 

Hannah still has a hard time interacting with the other little girls but it is getting better every week. She is participating well now (the first week she mostly sat on the side and watched) so I am sure the rest is coming as well. It must be very intimidating for her to be amoung a group of giggly girls that speak a language she is not quite comfortable with yet.  And the lesson is only an hour so she doesn't have much time to ge to know the other girls. But... she really likes it and wants to go every week.

We signed Hannah up for day camp at the school right around the corner from our house. We walked over to drop off her registration and now she is telling that it is her school each time we drive by.  It will be good for her. She is getting bored to be home without other children her age.  She gets along very well with Ivan most of the time and really cares for her little brother but he also hinders her in doing the things she likes to do since he is in her stuff all the time.  So next monday is her first day of day camp. I am excited for her and can't wait to see her reactions.  He english has picked up enough that she will be able to tell us what has happened during the day.  The last week her progress has simply been amazing. She calls me on the phone when I am at work and can tell me what she has been doing that day.  We have trained her well already.  This morning she wanted to go away in the car and when I asked her where she wanted to go, she said 'shopping!'  She also loves to make houses from lego with oma and they make a great team together. Ivan's nap time is the perfect time for this because if he is around, no house would get build.

Ivan is starting to talk as well. He still doesn't articulate very well but if you know what he wants to say you can understand him.  Someone will come and do an official developmental evaluation for him this week and we'll see what will come out of that. One thing I definitely know is that he is smart enough.  He figures out everything very quickly and finds a solution for every obstacle in his way. We are not always please with that solution but that is our problem I guess. For example, he climbs out of his crib and if we don't realize that he tears up his room in no time. So.... we decided to buy and sleep sack to prevent him from getting out of his bed.  Well...after a few minutes of creaming, he realized that if he pulls himself up on his arms he doesn't have to lift his legg so high and can still come out. So now I made 2 knots on either side of his legs and so far so good. He was frustrated at first but now reads books before falling asleep.  It works for both of us.

Our big adventure today is to take the 2 of them to the movies. It is miserable outside and it has been for the last 2 days so we need an outing. We'll see how it goes. marc has been training them for the last few weeks by letting them watch trailers on the computer.  More on that next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment