with the social worker (Svetlana) who defended our case.
Today was the most important day of our trip to Russia and the whole reason why we went here. We had our court hearing. Oksana, our facilitator, had already drilled us about what we could and couldn’t say yesterday afternoon so we were prepared. Marc and I got all dressed up at least above foot level, because my nice shoes were in the luggage that we still haven’t gotten back. So I had dress pants and a jacket with new balance running shoes! At least they were grey and not white. Oksana picked us up at 8:30 to be sure we would be in time. We arrived about 30 minutes early and waited in the hallway till we got called in. The judge was very nice and most of the questions we had expected. I had to answer the questions first. Most of them were about how we will arrange our lives when we get back since we both have a job, what we think about disciplinary measures, etc etc. I got several questions about my citizenship, why I was not yet an American citizen and why I had not attempted adoption in the Netherlands. Marc got similar questions but one of his questions was what he was going to teach the children. His first answer was that he was looking forward to teach them math and engineering which was quite funny. The judge thought so as well and asked what he would do if the kids were not interested in engineering and math! Silly Marc. Anyway, after the questions we were asked to leave the room and when we were called back in we were approved as parents of our little brother and sister. We also heard that we were actually very lucky since it was the last day that the medical report from US physicians would be accepted. From now on all parents will have to do their medical evaluation at the international clinic in Moscow. This was of course for us very good news but it will make things more complicated for the future parents since everybody will have to travel through Moscow. The reason for this was that yesterday there was news that a boy adopted from Russia in 2003 died due to neglect. That was also why we had so many questions about discipline etc.
After we left court we immediately went to the baby home where our little boy and girl were already waiting for us. Both all bundled up with a bag of clothes (since the clothes we brought are in our lost luggage) and the things we had brought them on our first trip as well as all the carts we sent them. Our little girl was definitely ready. She had been looking out the window to see if we were coming. Our little boy was not as enthusiastic and cried at first but the ride in the car was too interesting to have him cry for long. At the hotel we were moved into a double room so the kids and marc and I each have our own bedroom. They settled in very nicely. Ivan needed some time and hid behind the curtains for a while but was too curious to stay there for long. They both had some cheerios , juice and a banana and after playing for a while both went down for a nap and are sleeping quietly in their own beds. So far it is wonderful to be a parent!
It has been great to get to meet you in person. And now a beautiful family of four! Those two young ones are just precious.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!! Wonderful wonderful news!!! Enjoy your time in Vlad!!! Looks like it has warmed up!!!
ReplyDeleteOh, my goodness! I am so excited for you both! I can't wait to read more about your experience. Congratulations.
ReplyDeleteOh Lilian! I am so thrilled for you and Marc!!! Just so happy reading your blog today! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteI'm in tears! Congratulations to the new parents! You are a family of FOUR! Wow! I cannot wait to see pictures of those beautiful kids and hear all about your life at home!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations....
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for you and Mark.
I'm soooo happy for you, glad it went well (love the shoes!) but I'm feeling a bit sick....medicals thru Moscow?? We're waiting for our court date, are our medicals going to be accepted? How is that going to work for us? Will we have to go thru Moscow right before court? I don't know how much more of this I can take.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see pictures!
Oh Happy Day!!! Congrats! I am so glad things went well. You'll have to give me some traveling advice when it's our time to go (within the next month!). :)
ReplyDeleteAgain, congrats and I am so happy for you guys!